Traffic and Auto Safety for Kids
Since cars have been on the road, it has become easier and quicker to get from one place to another. However, the road can a very dangerous place because cars travel at such high speeds. There are lots of reasons you might find yourself on or near the road. You may wait at the bus stop, ride your bike to a friend’s house or take your dog for a walk. In order to stay safe around moving cars, you need to learn and follow certain rules of the road.
It’s healthy and fun to go for a walk. However, it can also be dangerous if you don’t follow the rules of the road. Learn what the different street signs mean. There are more rules than just reading signs, though. Use a sidewalk whenever possible walk so you can see the oncoming traffic. Also, make sure only to cross the road when you can see the traffic from both directions.
Stop Look and Listen - Help these kids decide the safest way to cross the road.
Kinetic Kids - Let Kip and the Kinetic Kids teach you how to ride and bike safely.
RAPS for Kids - Play some fun road and pedestrian safety games.
Safety Matters - Take a look at hese road safety games to learn more!
Street Safe Game - Follow the rules of the road while you walk the streets.
School Bus Safety
Try to get to the bus stop five to ten minutes early. Walk; never run to the school bus even if you’re late. When the school bus arrives, be sure to stay away from its danger zones. When it has finally come to a complete stop and the driver signals that it is okay to get on, take giant steps so other cars can tell that you are moving. When you’re on the bus, make sure to buckle up and stay in your seat. Also, be sure not to distract or bother the bus driver. If you walk to school, be sure to only cross the street in a crosswalk. Drivers should know to be very careful around crosswalks, especially those near the school. Sometimes they are not paying attention, which means you need to look out too. Make sure you look both ways before crossing, even if there is a signal light that says it’s okay.
Back to School Bus Safety - Learn about the proper ways to get on and off the school bus. Also be safe while riding it.
School Zone Safety - Did you know the school bus has danger zones? Find out where they are and how to stay out of them.
Danger Zone - More about the school bus’s safety zone.
School Bus Safety Web - A cool website with safety games, videos and tips.
Tips - The top ten school bus safety tips.
Many of the rules that should be followed when walking are the same as when you ride your bike. There are some extra points you should keep in mind, though. Unlike walking, bicyclists should move along with the traffic. Be sure to stay on the side of the road or on the bike path. You should also make sure to adjust the seat so that your knee bends slightly when the pedal is at its lowest point. Also, make sure your bike has reflectors on it especially if you expect to ride when it’s dark outside. Finally, whenever you ride your bike, make sure to wear a helmet. If you fall and hit your head without a helmet you can be hurt very, very badly. You need to wear a helmet that fits your head. It shouldn’t be too tight or too loose.
Kids and Bicycle Safety - This page has a lot of important bicycling safety tips.
Helmets - Take the quiz and find out how much you know about bicycle helmets.
Bike Safety Cartoon- Jen teaches you how to get ready for a bike ride.
Bikes & Wheel Sport Safety - What do the different signs on the road mean for bikers?
Bike Safety - All about bike safety, wearing a helmet, where to ride and what rule to follow.
Stop! Look! Listen! Think! - Complete the puzzle to hear a road safety song.
Otto’s Playland - A bunch of games and activities presented by AAA.
Buckle Bear - Have fun and do activities with Buckle Bear.
Kids Page - This site has tons of activities to do!
Traffic Safety Tips for Kids - Whether you’re in a car, on a bike or just walking, there are rules to follow.
Traffic Safety Quiz - Make sure you know appropriate behavior when in a car.
Traffic Safety Game Show (PDF) - Answer the questions and award yourself points.
Skooter - Learn road safety by doing some activities.
Road Signs - Play the road sign matching game and learn what they mean.
The Correct Way to Wear a Helmet - Check the diagram and make sure you’re wearing your helmet the right way.
Written By: Edson Farnell | Email |
- BMW 525i Clutch
- Toyota Tacoma Mud Flaps
- Toyota Tacoma AC Condenser
- Saab 93 Head Gasket
- Ford Focus Expansion Tank
- Volkswagen Touareg Fuel Pump
- Porsche 944 Clutch Master Cylinder
- Jeep Cherokee Trunk Strut
- Chrysler Pacifica Brakes
- Cadillac CTS Headlight
- Suzuki Verona Brakes
- Toyota Matrix Inner Fender Well
- Toyota Supra Water Pump
- Saturn SL2 Window Regulator
- Volkswagen Jetta Transmission Filter
- BMW 540i Power Steering Pump
- Mazda MPV Timing Belt Tensioner
- Mercedes C280 Emblem
- Suzuki XL7 Tail Light
- Acura RL Brake Rotors
- Toyota Land Cruiser Exhaust System
- Toyota Corolla Carburetor
- Toyota Highlander Air Filter
- Honda Pilot Cargo Liner
- Volvo S70 Trunk Strut
- Dodge Nitro Grille
- BMW 318i Air Mass Meter Boot
- Infiniti G20 Axle
- Ford Tempo Headlight
- Ford Explorer Alternator
- BMW 330i Clutch
- Audi S4 Repair Manual
- Toyota Tacoma Blower Motor Resistor
- Ford F350 Super Duty Brake Pads
- Mazda 3 Strut Mount
- Geo Metro Exhaust Manifold
- Chevrolet Cavalier Clutch
- Toyota Camry Air Mass Meter Boot
- Volvo S80 Air Mass Meter
- Auto Safety: Protect Yourself!
- Cadillac History, Transformation and Timeline
- Guide to Car Maintenance
- The History of the Assembly Line and Interchangeable Parts
- History of Electric Cars
- The Car Owners Guide: How to Sell Your Used Vehicle
- The Ultimate BMW 325i Page
- Do It Yourself Oil Change
- Auto Safety Resource Guide
- The Petroleum Resource Page
- How To Save Gas on Your Automobile
- A Guide to Getting the Best MPG for your Automobile
- An Overview of Auto Racing From Around the World
- Transportation Technology: Autos of the Future
- Introduction to Car Safety for Kids
- The Ultimate Honda Civic Page
- Simple Guide to Braking Systems
- Safety Guide to Toys With Electric Parts
- Ultimate Guide to Car Museums in the US and Around the World
- Gone Jeepin': An Enthusiast's Guide To The World Of Wranglers