Safe Driving in Every Season
Road and traffic conditions vary from one season to another, and drivers have to know how to take different measures to maintain safety throughout the year. Drivers who are well-prepared to deal with the different demands of driving during different seasons will be able to reduce the risk of road accidents as well as mechanical failures.
- Seasonal Driving: Lists of tips for safe driving in different seasons.
- Safe Driving Throughout the Year: Articles that provide advice on how to drive safely and maintain vehicles during different seasons.
Driving during winter time is the most difficult and dangerous, because it is more difficult to control vehicles on slippery roads. Drivers have to perform gentle maneuvers when they are driving during winter, and they should not speed. If they wish to stop or slow down their vehicles, they have to start applying brakes earlier, and the braking should not be too abrupt.
Another winter driving problem is visibility. If visibility is poor because of the snow, drivers should use their headlights or fog lights. Also, glare from the low sun can make it difficult for people to see the road clearly. Proper cleaning of both the inside and outside of the windshield will improve vision significantly. If the windows are covered with snow, drivers should remove all snow and ice on the windows, instead of clearing just a small hole on the windshield.
Drivers have to make sure that their car batteries are fully-charged when winter comes around. They may have trouble starting their cars if their batteries are weak. Lights, windshield wipers, and heaters should only be switched on when necessary. Also, fill the cooling system with a mixture of antifreeze and water to prevent engine damage.
- Winter Driving Tips: Useful tips for ensuring safety on and off the road during winter time.
- Driving on Icy Roads: Find out how to drive safely on icy roads.
- Safe Driving in Winter: Important advice for driving and maintaining vehicles during winter.
- Safety Tips for Winter Driving: List of safety tips for winter drivers.
- Winter Car Care: Suggestions for car maintenance during winter.
- Preparing Vehicles for Winter: Read this article and learn how to keep vehicles winter ready.
After months of careful winter driving, many motorists tend to let their guard down during spring time. Nonetheless, spring has its own driving hazards as well, one of which is rain. Wet roads can be just as dangerous as icy roads, because a layer of water on the road can cause tires to lose contact with the surface of the road. When this happens, drivers will lose control of their vehicles, and they may cause accidents. Rain can also reduce visibility, and drivers have to make sure that their lights and wipers are working properly. Additionally, flooding can occur during spring, and it can cause serious damage to engines.
Spring time is also vacation time, and towns and cities around the country will have more out-of-state vehicles. Drivers should be extra careful when they are tailing cars from other states, because tourists do not know their way around, and they have the tendency to make sudden stops or turns.
- Spring Driving Tips: A fact sheet with tips for safe driving during spring.
- Drive Safely in Spring: Follow these instructions to ensure safety on the road during spring time.
- Spring Driving Hazards: Identifying and overcoming common spring road hazards.
- Spring Car Care: Find out how to keep vehicles in tip top condition during spring.
Although driving is comparatively safer during summer, it can be uncomfortable and tiring. Many people experience fatigue when they are driving long distances, and some of them lose their concentration and get involved in accidents. Drivers who are going on long road trips should take a 20 minutes break once every two hours.
Due to high summer temperatures, there is a higher chance that overheating will occur. Car owners should top up the coolant in their cars and check their coolant hoses and cooling fans. Also, heat can aggravate existing damage on tires and cause blow-outs and punctures. Check tires and fix any existing damage, and make sure that they are properly inflated.
- Driving in Summer: Ten excellent tips for driving in the summer.
- Safe Summer Driving: Basic safety advice for summer road travelers.
- Summer Driving A to Z: This web page contains the A to Z of safe summer driving.
- Summer Driving Facts: List of precautions that drivers should take while traveling on the road during summer.
- Summer Car Care: A document that shows how vehicles should be maintained during summer.
Visibility can be bad during fall because of glare from the low sun. Drivers should clean their windshield properly and remove smears to improve visibility. Also, they should be aware that drivers in front and behind them can also be dazzled, and they have to try to keep a safe distance from other vehicles. Since nights are darker during autumn, motorists should make sure that all their lights are working fine. Roads that are covered with wet leaves can be slippery, and drivers should not be driving too fast.
- Safe Fall Driving: Document that provides suggestions for driving during fall.
- Basic Fall Driving Tips: A number of helpful tips for safe autumn driving.
- Preparing Vehicles for Autumn: Learn how to do proper vehicle maintenance during autumn.
- Autumn Automotive Care: Advice on how to prevent automotive problems during the fall season.
Other than following seasonal driving tips, drivers should also know the basic safety rules for driving. It is important for drivers to know what is happening around them when they are driving. They should not place themselves in such a position that they cannot escape when an accident happens. Always make sure that there is enough room in front or on either side. When passing another vehicle, they should make the pass as soon as they can, instead of lingering next to the vehicle. Turn signals should always be used when turning, and speed limits have to be observed.
- Safe Driving: An extensive collection of useful driving tips.
- General Driving Tips: Web page that offers general safety instructions for drivers.
- How to Drive Safely: Lots of helpful tips for preventing road accidents.
- Safe Driving Information: The leading source of information on vehicle safety in the United States.
Written By: Edson Farnell | Email |
- Acura TSX Brake Pads
- BMW 528i Air Mass Meter
- Mercedes C230 Spark Plugs
- Chevrolet Impala Fuel Pump
- Honda Pilot Engine Mount
- Dodge Dakota Grille
- Audi A4 Quattro Skid Plate
- Ford Mustang Clutch
- Mini Cooper Headlight
- Subaru Outback Head Gasket
- Audi TT Quattro Shock Absorber
- Audi TT Quattro Shocks
- Saab 93 Crank Position Sensor
- GMC Sierra 2500 HD Shocks
- GMC Sierra 2500 HD Shock Absorber
- Mercedes ML55 AMG Brakes
- Audi A4 Blower Motor
- Volkswagen Vanagon Repair Manual
- Oldsmobile Silhouette Mirror
- Nissan Maxima Oil Pan
- Honda Civic Brake Drum
- BMW 330i Headlight Bulb
- Honda CRV Timing Belt
- Volkswagen Jetta Heater Core
- BMW 323i Headlight
- Porsche 911 Hood Strut
- Toyota Camry Valve Cover Gasket
- Mercedes S320 Brake Rotors
- Volvo S80 Fuel Pump
- Nissan Titan Radiator
- Saturn SC2 Mirror
- Mercury Villager Distributor
- Toyota Tundra Grille
- BMW 525i Fan Shroud
- Saab 95 Struts
- Mercedes 300TD Brakes
- Jeep Commander Headlight
- Lincoln Mark LT Mirror
- Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD Window Regulator
- Mazda Miata Wheel Hub
- The First Generation Firebird
- Working With Fiberglass
- Automobili Lamborghini
- The Ultimate Pontiac Fiero Fan Page
- A Guide To Hybrid Electric Vehicles
- Become An Expert In DIY Repair
- A Driver's Resource on Air Pollution and Vehicle Emissions
- Auto Purchasing Resources: Negotiating Price & Avoiding Dealer Tricks
- Auto Accident Resource Guide
- Auto Safety Page
- Vehicle Emissions Guide
- The Aging Driver's Safety Guide
- The Ultimate Honda Accord Page
- Car Clubs Around the World
- How To Save Gas on Your Automobile
- From the Model T to Hybrids - History of the Auto
- Physics for Kids: Simple Machines in Automobiles
- The National Automotive and Truck Museum
- The Ultimate Nissan Maxima Page
- The History of Military Automotive Vehicles