The Model T: The Car That Started It All
The Model T came on the scene in 1908 as a reasonably priced, reliable automobile created for use by the average family. The 1200-pound Model T was helpful to people who lived on farms and were accustomed to travelling long distances on horseback. Between 1908 and 1927, the revolutionary assembly line process allowed for the construction of 15 million Model T automobiles. This novel means of transportation gave the average person an entirely new perspective on travel.
The Model T was a practical automobile that served its purpose well. The 20 horsepower Model T had four cylinders and the ability to move over rough roads at speeds of up to 45 miles per hour. In addition, a family could travel for 25 miles on a gallon of fuel. In terms of its features, a Model T had a planetary transmission as well as three pedals that controlled its ability to brake, go forward, and move in reverse. These foot pedals allowed the driver the freedom to maneuver the steering wheel. The Model T of 1908 with its durable, steel chassis was the epitome of a practical automobile with its lack of windshield wipers, radio, or even driver doors. Five people seated in a popular Model T touring car were surely treated to a fun, speedy ride!
Most likely, the new owner of a Model T put in many hours of practice in order to get its operation down pat. The process of operation involved grasping the crank at the front of the car and winding it until the engine caught. Another step in the process involved the release of one brake and, then opening the throttle. A driver would have to apply pressure to another floor pedal to get the car into gear. The brake pedal situated at the far right on the car floor would need to be coordinated as well.
Through the years, the Model T saw changes such as the replacement of its acetylene lamps with electric lights in 1915. Also, in the late 1920s the weight of a Model T rose to approximately 1500 pounds due to it pure steel construction. In addition, around the year 1919 there were Model T automobiles made with an electric starter as opposed to the crank starter.
The Model T was an automobile that suited the needs of its owners. A practical invention sold at a reasonable price, it gave many people the first time experience of freedom and independence that goes along with automobile travel.
To find out more about the Model T checkout these websites:
- A Profile of the Model T: Discover a variety of interesting facts and details about Henry Ford's automobile the Model T.
- A Family and Their Model T: Read a journal that reflects the impressions of a typical family living in the 1920s and their decision to purchase their first automobile, the Model T.
- A Look at Henry Ford and the Model T: Find some background details on Henry Ford and how he went about creating the Model T.
- A Biography of Henry Ford, Maker of the Model T: Learn about Henry Ford and what led him to build an automobile called the Model T.
- A Model T with a Famous Owner: View a photograph of a Model T given to President Johnson.
- Henry Ford and His Company: A gathering of information about Henry Ford, his company, and the introduction of the Model T.
- The Model T and Automobile History: Checkout the history of automobiles and the role of the Model T.
- Ford and the Model T: Discover the early history of Ford's company and the importance of the Model T in its development.
- Timeline of Automobile History: Find out where the creation of the Model T fits into the history of automobile manufacture along with other details such as how many of them were sold.
- Information about Henry Ford: Information about the life and accomplishments of Henry Ford.
- A History of Ford Company and the Model T: Interesting gathering of information on the development of the Model T.
- Facts on the Model T and Henry Ford: Checkout this revealing timeline concerning pertinent events in the life of Henry Ford including the invention of the Model T.
- The Automobile Industry and Henry Ford: Contains information about Henry Ford, the introduction of the Model T, and its place in history.
- All About the Model T: A history of the Model T accompanied by photographs.
- The Workings of the Model T: Offers a look at the Model T and its features.
- The Significance of the Model T: A detailed explanation of Henry Ford's Model T and its history.
- Photos and Information Regarding the Model T: Great photographs of the Model Ts that appeared over the years.
- The Model T and Its History: Interesting events in the development of the Model T including its price and its significance to the public.
- The Model T Also Known as the Tin Lizzie: An explanation of why the Model T was sometimes referred to as the Tin Lizzie.
- The Model T Ford: A profile of the Model T that includes its price and the amount of autos sold.
Written By: Edson Farnell | Email |